Dal makhani is a Punjabi-style traditional lentil recipe. It is rich and creamy in taste and texture. It is a mouth-watering main dish. Its richness can be increased more by cooking it over a low flame. You can also give it a smoky flavor by giving an infusion of charcoal smoke to the recipe.
Ingredients of Dal Makhni
Urad dal and rajma: These are the basic ingredient of this recipe. You can cook it in a pressure cooker you can also soak them and keep in tandoor overnight. This tandoor-style dal makhani is even more delicious.
Cream: To enhance the richness and creamy flavor of dal use half a pack of low-fat cream.
Makhan: Use salted and unsalted butter for making this recipe instead of oil or ghee.
Whole spice: Cumin seeds, cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, and cinnamon stick in this recipe.
Tomato: Tomato puree is added to this recipe. You can make this at home or can use market-bought tomato paste.
Charcoal: To give a smoky infusion to the recipe charcoal is used.
Tips and Tricks
Cook this recipe over low flame and simmer for over 30-40 minutes to make it viscous.
Stir occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
Nutrition in Dal Makhani
These values are approximate calculations that vary with ingredients and quantities.
Here you can find more interesting recipes
- Rinse the lentils couple of times. Then soak both urad dal and rajma overnight (8-9hrs).
- Add these lentils in a pressure cooker, add 750 ml water and stir well
- Pressure cooker for 15-18 whistles until both the lentils are softened. If lentils are not cooked well add 1/2 cup more water and pressure cooker for 4-5 lentils. keep these cooked beans aside.
- In a blender add tomatoes and make its puree.
- Take 3 tbsp of salted or unsalted butter in a a pan melt it.
- Then add cumin seeds, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamon and cloves in it, till they become aromatic.
- Then add chopped onion in it and saute for a while until they become light golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste saute till the raw taste of ginger garlic finishes.
- Add tomato puree into it mix well then add red chili powder and salt and nutmeg powder in it.
- Cook until you see fat separating at the edges.
- Then add softened lentils into it and mix well Add 1 cup of water into it.
- Let the lentils simmer. Stir in between soo it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- If you found dal more thick then add more water and let it simmer. So the lentils become thick creamy and viscous..
- The longer you keep it for simmering the more good it tastes.
- When it reached the desired thickness then add cream into it. Mix cream very well.
- Turn off the flame then add crushed kasuri methi into it.
- Garnish it with fresh corriander leaves and serve with roti, nan , paratha, boiled rice.